Wednesday 28 May 2014

Huon Pine for Transom

I have found (and bought) two fabulous Huon Pine planks for the Transom.
The planks measure;
     1580 mm long x 370 mm wide x 38 mm thick and
     1670 mm long x 340 mm wide x 32 mm thick,
and will enough to do the whole Transom

I will need to reduce the thickness, but besides the fact that they won't fit through my 300mm thinesser, I could't be so criminal as to turn so much Huon into saw dust. So need to find someone with a large enough bandsaw to re-saw them.
I am considering simply re-sawing the 38mm plank down to the 32mm of the thinner plank and accepting a thicker transom the JB's plans. I can't see this as a problem; my rudder will simply be 7mm further back than the plans.
But opinions are welcomed and invited.

I plan to spline the planks so I have ordered a Veritas Plow Plane.

Pete.



1 comment:

  1. Pete,

    I think the planks can be used with no problem at the increased thickness. The entire edge is covered by planking below the shear and so the extra thickness might mean you don't have to install transom cheeks. The cheeks are there to provide additional meat for the screws and for additional glue surface area. You might want to do a thickened epoxy filet between the planks and transom to make up for the small loss in surface area.

    That said... the extra thick transom might look too beefy where it extends above the rear deck/shear. You might consider hand planing that area to the normal 7/8" thickness to keep its bulk in check.

    The pine is beautiful! Will you be using that type wood for the coaming and other pretty parts?

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete