Monday 6 October 2014

Transom Cheeks.
This post covers work done in July before Edith and I headed to Europe for a break. 


The transom was marked out and cut to shape using a jig saw on the curves and a handsaw on the straights, just shy of the line.


As one of my transom Huon Pine planks was the FSP thickness of the transom plus the transom cheeks, I did not require transom cheeks on the lower board & and only thinner ones on the upper plank. 


The splines seemed to work out well, with a gap for the epoxy resin as deemed require. As is the pils. 


My younger son, Martin, and I then opened the armoury, selected the best weapons and set about the bevelling. 



We left quite an amour of wood to be removed when the transom is on the jig; to ensure the planks will meet it fair.
As the lower section is one piece, with no cheeks, we had to re-interpret the drawing of the section where the keel meets the transom. With both Martin and me visualising and debating the drawings into the final 3D shape, I think we got it right. 



No comments:

Post a Comment